argon bulletin board

Експертно търсене  

Новини:

Регистрирането на нови потребители е временно деактивирано.

Автор Тема: Graduate study opportunity for students of physics  (Прочетена 1343 пъти)

petya_tancheva

• Модератор
  • Неактивен Неактивен
  • Публикации: 84

This is to let you know of a research and graduate study opportunity available to your graduate students.
I would appreciate immensely if you would transmit the information below to any student that you think may be interested in receiving it or that may benefit from receiving it.
I am the head of a laboratory that conducts adsorption experiments on novel nanostructured materials (hydrocarbon adsorption on carbon nanotubes; simple molecular and atomic gases on carbon nanohorns; simple atomic and molecular gases on metal-organic framework materials). Gas adsorption on nanostructured materials offers the possibility of achieving in the laboratory matter in two or in one dimension; as such the studies we conduct are quite appealing from a fundamental perspective. This type of studies also has great potential for practical use, especially in gas storage and gas-mixture separation applications. Nanostructured substrates may hold the key to new technology that may produce a fundamental transformation of our economy from one based on petroleum-derivatives to a hydrogen-based technology. The nanomaterials that we study as substrates may also form the basis for developing an entirely new approach for achieving the separation of a mixture of gases into its separate chemical (and, even, isotopic components such as H2, HD, D2, etc.).  I currently have a couple of opening for graduate students that would like to conduct their doctoral or Masters research in my laboratory. I would like to fill these openings with well qualified applicants. This is why am sending you this letter: to invite applications and to initiate contact.
The students joining my group can get involved in research from the moment they get to Carbondale, and the research they will be conducting will lead to the publication of articles in prestigious journals, as well as to presentations in scientific meetings (such as those of the American Physical Society or the American Institute of Chemical Engineering). The participating students will, of course, be co-authors of the publications and will attend the meetings and present their results at them. From a professional point of view this is an excellent opportunity. Students in my group will also have the opportunity to go abroad to conduct research. We have a professional collaboration with two groups in Argentina, and I have taken a graduate student there for a three week visit these last two summers.One point that is very important to note is the following: ALL the students that we admit in our Department receive assistantships which carry a stipend, which now is $1582/month. ALL students receiving an assistantship will have their tuition costs waived by SIU (i.e., the students do not have to pay their tuition). That is, the students will be receiving a monthly
salary for either doing research or for teaching laboratory classes, and they will not have to pay tuition to attend SIU while they pursue a degree (they can study at SIU tuition-free). This will, of course, be the case as well with any student that applies for and is accepted into my group.Carbondale is a relatively small (population about 30,000) college town in the rural Midwestern United States. The cost of living here is much lower than at a major urban center (this is especially true for the price of renting an apartment or a house). Students can comfortably live with the stipend they receive.
If you want any more information on the research conducted in my group,
please go to my website at:
http://www.physics.siu.edu/migone/lab/research.htm
I thank you in advance for making this information available to qualified and interested students.
The application materials for admission into the department can be found
at: http://www.physics.siu.edu/programs/graduate_applications/index.htm
The most important documents that will be needed are: a TOEFL test result (the Graduate School has a minimum passing grade of 550 or 220), a GRE test result (there is no minimum required score, this exam is required only for Ph. D. applicants), official transcripts from universities attended, and recommendation letters, as well as an application fee and a completed application.The fee will be returned to the student if he/she is admitted.Applications are considered for both the Fall and Spring semesters. Students that apply by October can be considered for the Spring of 2009.Please contact me if you need further information at: aldo@physics.siu.edu-Aldo D. Migone,Professor and Chair,Department of Physics,
Southern Illinois University Carbondale, , IL 62901,
Phone: (618) 453-1053

Активен